posted Jan 8, 2017, 4:33 PM by SD Council PTA
updated Jan 12, 2017, 9:02 PM
Happy New Year Everyone! I hope everyone out there was able to enjoy the winter break with family and friends and is looking forward to 2017. I would be remised not to admit that 2017 is starting off with that level of uncertainty with the outcome of the recent National Elections, however, I am going to rely on my sense of eternal optimism that it'll all work out somehow. I am resolved with the fact the what I can do as a person is to continue as I always had and the best way I can deal with the situation is to stay informed. In the context of the work I do on behalf of PTA, I am always mindful of the core mission which has always been about all children, and not just in terms of education, but for the overall health and well-being of all children. I continue to work on projects and partnerships that will hopefully bring education enrichment opportunities to the schools in San Diego that will ultimately have a positive impact on student learning outcomes. Whether it be in terms of community engagement, parent/family engagement, or ways that our schools can work together for a common goal.
My most recent endeavor is to participate in Finish Chelsea's Run 5k
where the San Diego Unified Council of PTAs (SDUCPTA) has formed a team and I am the Team Captain. Truth be told, I am not much of a runner, I am not exactly a fan of it, but I have been "practicing" at the lovely hour of 5 am in an effort to improve my pace (which is between a really fast walk to a mediocre slow jog). So my goal of participating isn't really to finish the 5k is record time (although that would be a miracle) but really to leverage the resources of SDUCPTA to raise awareness about Chelsea's story and to ultimately help raise monies to send children to college. You can help me by joining the SDUCPTA team
or donate to my fundraiser for Chelsea's Light Foundation
. There will be a lot of fun activities at Finish Chelsea’s Run including: 5K run/walk, “Short & Sweet” one-mile route, family festival, face painting, live music, dancers, team village, food, drinks and more!
Here are just a few of the other projects/programs that the SDUCPTA has been working on:
- Winter Workshop, training for ALL PTA Leaders, being held on January 21, 2017 at the Harold J Ballard Center. Go to our website for more information and how to RSVP. California Coast Credit Union is SDUCPTA's premier sponsor and will be donating prizes for a raffle!
- EnergyTroopers, SDUCPTA has partnered with EnergyTroopers where schools can raise funds while raising energy conservation efforts. And it's simple, safe, and free! Anyone with an SCE or SDG&E account can easily sign up. New deadlines for the $1,000 and $5,000 sign up prizes (Jan 20th and Jan 27th). Visit www.energytrooopers.org for details
- Wellness Through the Arts (WTA): SDUCPTA has partnered with The Ben Vereen Awards to help promote this essay contest open to 5 - 12 grade. Find out more about this essay contest at the WTA website.
- Special workshop for Principals, this training will go over tips for successful school-PTA partnerships but is open for all Principals to attend. There will be three opportunities to participate, January 18, 2017 at 8 am and January 31, 2017 at 9 am and 2:30 pm, details will be sent to the Principals soon.
- Human Trafficking: SDUCPTA has been working with the Human Trafficking Committee at the SDUSD comprised of local leaders and educators in an effort to raise awareness about human trafficking in San Diego. The leaders on this committee will be attending the January 30 SDUCPTA General Meeting to share information about their work.
Here are some friendly reminders regarding the operations of your PTA unit:
- Mid-Year Audit: The Auditor for the PTA unit should be conducting an audit for the period between July 1, 2016 - December 31, 2016. If your PTA unit does not have an Auditor, one can be appointed from the board or you can contact the SDUCPTA for assistance.
- Membership: Encourage your school community to do good things for your kids and Join the PTA! Remember, PTA Units can recruit members throughout the school-year. Please be sure to use the current Unit Remittance form, that you can find on our website, you do not need to login to get the form, simply click on the download button.
- Nominating Committee: Winter is the time that the PTA Unit is to form a Nominating Committee. Refer the the PTA Unit Bylaws for instructions. For additional resources, you can visit the California State PTA's website.
- General Meeting: The next General Meeting where ALL PTA Unit Presidents within SDUSD are being called is on January 30, 2017 starting at 6:30 pm in the Auditorium of the Harold J Ballard Center.
As always, I am here to answer any questions and I look forward to whatever comes my way during the remainder of my term as President of SDUCPTA.
San Diego Unified Council of PTAs